When a Pandemic Says it's Time to Leave Spain, it's Time to Leave Spain


When a Pandemic Says it's Time to Leave Spain, it's Time to Leave Spain

I had been in Madrid, Spain for a month and a half when the Corona Virus was announced. My study abroad program had begun in February of 2020, fulfilling my dreams of studying in another country. But, it all came to an abrupt stop in March. 

I remember watching the news with my host mom as the situation began to develop. Our professors encouraged us to not stress, while other students began wearing masks. None of us were quite sure what would happen next. Eventually, Madrid decided to close all educational facilities for two weeks; as far as us international students were concerned, this meant we had two weeks to enjoy the city or travel. My friend and I decided to book a last-minute trip to Lisbon, Portugal. We boarded the over-night bus and started our trip. Around three in the morning, we woke to text messages from our parents asking us if we had seen the news. Former President Trump had just announced that travel would be limited due to COVID-19. 

As any concerned parent would, my dad insisted I get on a flight home the next day. I had to reluctantly respond that I was on an overnight bus to Portugal and wouldn't be able to get back to Madrid until the next day. We arrived in Lisbon, exhausted, after staying up all night in communication with our frantic parents. My university at home hadn't yet told us that we had to come back, but we decided to book a bus home the next morning. 

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

To enjoy our brief trip as much as possible, we found a tour bus that would take us around the city. We sat on the top level of the bright yellow bus, listening to the history of the city. It was mid-seventy degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze; like a dream. We rode by the river and I remember thinking how lucky I was to be in such a beautiful place. Later, we ate seafood and drank sangria by the water for an opportunity to soak in the sun. Finally, we boarded the bus to finish the tour; that's when the dream ended. 

 I refreshed my email on top of the yellow bus and turned to my friend with tears in my eyes-- my home university had told me to find the next available flight home. The COVID-19 situation was becoming too unstable. I thought about how quickly we had fallen in love with our experience abroad and how quickly it was being ripped away. The months of planning, of submitting applications, applying for visas, packing for such an extended time away from home was gone in a blink. I had realized--with despair--that in three days I would be in the thirty-degree weather of my home town.  

A few days later, in the Madrid Airport, I noticed the majority of travelers were my age, all returning home from a study abroad semester cut short. The disappointment was evident; so was the uncertainty. We had no idea what awaited us in the next year and a half. The year that had started so hopeful and filled with new experiences soon turned into the year that many hoped to forget. 


Key words:
  • Study abroad
  • International students
  • Spain
  • Pandemic




Comments

Popular Posts